We might kind of sort of know how we are getting home…maybe…I think.

This is just quick realtime update about my shipping situation.


The last 24 hours have been a real rollercoaster for me. I won’t go into all of the details, but wanted to share what’s going on.

Gaby, a member of my Ecuafamilia, introduced me to a friend of hers who actually works in shipping. For the last week or so, I’ve exchanged dozens of messages with him as doors continuously open and close for options for shipping from Ecuador.

Last night (Wednesday) it appeared that all options had been exhausted and that I would continue on to Bogota today. This morning (Thursday) a new possibility of shipping from Quito to New York became available. I had to make a decision within a few hours, as I needed to begin my ride to Bogota to catch my flight there.

The prices and dates were similar and after lots of deliberation I decided to take the option in Ecuador. It would give me more time with my Ecuafamilia, save me some travel money, plus I know somebody (my friend Mitch) in New York who might be able to help me with lodging as I jump through the customs hoops. It seemed the right call.

This evening, I got word that the Quito option was no longer available. The plane was already full of flowers (one of Ecuador’s major exports). This means that I will be leaving in the morning heading for Bogota.

I need to be there by Sunday night to begin the process on Monday. Annie is scheduled to fly in to Miami on Thursday the 11th. Three days is pretty quick to get to Bogota from where I am, so I hope my border crossing goes smooth tomorrow (if you remember, it was a 9 hour wait coming the other way.)

I still have lots to get figured out, such as my flight and where I can stay in Miami as I go through customs. I need to do all of this while dedicating most of my time to logging miles. Accordingly, I might not have many updates out for awhile.


I still don’t know whether shipping a vehicle isย that bad, or whether I just make it look really hard. Can we start a gofundme for a road through the Darien Gap?


Author: BA


23 thoughts on “We might kind of sort of know how we are getting home…maybe…I think.”

  1. This is exciting news. I know you have family who cannot wait to see you. Remember if you are coming up I 75 from Miami through GA you always have a bed in Summerville GA. Or, if you don’t have time to stop we might be able to meet you at an exit on I 75 for a meal. We are only 30 minutes off the interstate. I can’t believe it has been a year since we met you in Nova Scotia. What an adventure you have had! Our life is not nearly exciting except for the monkeys we bought for pets. (NOT) I just wanted to hear you scream. Lol

    Travel safely and best wishes to Annie fir safe shipping!

    Susan and Jim Little


    1. Haha. Glad the monkeys were just a rumor. I will be in touch. There’s a good chance that I will be coming through your way. I will need your family to do some touching up on their signatures!


  2. I have been praying for the last 2 days that God would go before you and make your option obvious. I am happy to hear that you have a plan. We are excited to both know you will be in the states, but also soon on your way to us! ๐Ÿ™‚


  3. So good to visit with you twice yesterday! We love you and continue to pray for all the plans to fall into place. Enjoy the journey! WE CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!! Mom and Dad


  4. Hey GA, love the boat-bike thing! not sure Annie is up for that kind of transformation.; although sea salt has to be better than all of the dust she has been eating ๐Ÿ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: